Oct 15, 2015
Structural Soils attend AGS quality results in ground investigation seminar
Structural Soils’ Justin Barrett (Director) and Eric Downey (Senior Engineering Geologist) attended the AGS Quality Results Seminar yesterday.
The seminar included a number of interesting talks from industry leaders such as Hugh Mallett, Technical Director at BuroHappold Engineering talking on “Quality laboratory data – are consultants bovvered?”. It discussed what consultants can do to ensure quality data and evaluated the measures that can be taken to assess the quality (and uncertainty) of the data in design, once the data has been received. Eric said ‘This was an interesting day for all concerned to ensure all ground professionals maintain their high [quality] standards.’
Other speakers and presentation topics included:-
- Ensuring Quality of Testing in the Geotechnical Laboratory: Proficiency Testing and what goes Wrong , John Powell (Technical Director - Geolabs)
- The replacement of BS1377 has begun, Roger Brown (Associate Director, Laboratories - Fugro)
- Sample Extraction, Matthew Baldwin (Technical Director - Soil Engineering)
- Sampling Standards, Chris Swainson (Principal Engineer - Geotechnics)
- Double Standards: Accreditation and Transition to New Standards, Graeme Thomas (Assessment Manager - UKAS)
- Good Result/Bad Result, Chris Wallace (Technical Manager - Geolabs)
Eric Downey holding a copy of our recently updated Engineer’s Quick Reference Guide, available for download here.